Now in its fourteenth year, because a 20-year-old blog deserves some traditions, however unexciting.
As ever, all the places I went in 2018 and spent the night. Repeat visits denoted with an asterisk. Interestingly, for the first time in many years, I don’t think we spent the night in either Livingston (with my parents) or New City (my wife’s).
New York *
Arlington, VA *
Palm Beach Gardens, FL *
San Diego, CA *
Gloucester, MA *
Edgartown, MA *
Portland, OR *
Lake Buena Vista, FL *
Orlando, FL *
Washington, DC *
Last month, the Ideapad turned 20. Twenty years is a long time to do anything, as many of my fellow early bloggers can attest. Those who have kept at it since the turn of the century have my appreciation, not only as like-minded fellows, but also for maintaining the independent spirit of the early web, where our dreams were self-made and limitless.
I have on my server a bookmarks list, saved out of some version Netscape or Internet Explorer, that is now fifteen years old (May 6, 2003, to be exact). It’s a nice flat HTML file so all the links in it are clickable. To celebrate two decades of blogging, I thought I’d republish the list as-is, click through to all the blogs I once had bookmarked, and report on them here. Let’s see how the independent web of 2003 has persisted to 2018! (Hint: it’s doing pretty darned well, all things considered.)
Still publishing!—has posted in the past 12 months
Maybe still publishing—live with posts, but none in 2018
In amber—not active, but defending the web from linkrot
N.B. Many of the links here are still active but don’t point to the pages they did back then. Caveat clicker.
- 37signals’ Signal vs. Noise Still publishing!
- Anil Dash Still publishing!
- Nick Denton
- Boing Boing … Wonderful Things Still publishing!
- kottke.org Still publishing!
- megnut In amber
- Noise Between Stations Maybe still publishing!
- The Morning News Still publishing!
- sippey.com Maybe still publishing
- Mighty Girl Still publishing!
- whatever, whenever
- nothing, and lots of it Still publishing!
- Andre Torrez Still publishing!
- Ftrain_ Main Ftrain Maybe still publishing
- defective yeti
- Witold Riedel NYC Still publishing! (over here)
- bazima chronicles
- hello, kitten.
- Izzle! Izzle pfaff! In amber
- Mastication is normal
- petit hiboux .. the owl in winter. In amber
- peterme.com Still publishing!
- Choire Sicha
- East West Magazine
Not Updated Daily
- Cardhouse Still publishing!
- 50 cups of coffee _ strange brew _ never the same girl twice
- metascene– There ain’t no Sanity Clause
- stating the obvious In amber
- maybe i still am!
- Acts of Volition Still publishing!
- jeans and a t-shirt In amber
- What Do I Know
- Waxy.org Still publishing!
- Take a penny, leave a penny. Still–er, never mind
- FARK.com Still active!
- blogdex – the weblog diffusion index
- Daypop Top 40 Links
- What’s Happening In amber
- Metafilter _ Community Weblog Still active!
- ToT Days of Self-Contemplation and Soul Searching
- ODonnellWeb Still publishing (an email)
- _usr_bin_girl _ ( just a digital girl ) _ blurbs from the web
- Backup Brain
- Scripting News Still publishing!
- dangerousmeta! Made it to April 2018
- 365 Days Project
- shellen.com Still publishing!
- caterina.net Still publishing!
- Q Daily News
- Living Can Kill You – saila.com In amber
- Jerry Kindall
- David Galbraith’s weblog
- Nedward von Suckahs In amber
- eatonweb blog_ vomiting up the web
- The War Against Silence In amber
- what is a tigerbunny
- Wrap Me Up in It
- misc., etc.
Internet, Design, UI blogs
- SAP Design Guild In amber
- bBlog_ Business intelligence _ XPLANE
- Boxes and Arrows
- In My Experience… Home In amber
- XPLANE _ xblog (The visual thinking weblog.)
- Joel on Software Still publishing!
- ia- news for information architects
- holovaty.com Still publishing!
- dive into mark
- Daring Fireball Still publishing!